Following some research for a dropped work project involving a potential travel update display, I took the knowledge I gained from the TFL api to create a very rude travel update for the London underground network. Working in London as a commuter, I know my frustrations with train companies, and hear the same level of frustrations from users of the underground network.
In the past I had seen many graphical clocks online, built in either Flash or HTML5. I looked into an idea for one that was interactive. In past to keep an old watch or antique clock running, the user would have to wind the mechanism. I decided to create a clock that required feeding to display the time correctly.
Throughout my career generally my portfolios had been built using Flash, this was to be the first to move away from that trend, and to finish off the Jackdaw trilogy theme with side projects. The project allowed me to realise just how much I could do with css animations and having these run on a phone and tablet was very exciting at the time and generated lots of ideas.
I wanted my portfolio to do more, so experimented by allowing the user being to wander around the environment, controlling one of the many jackdaws sitting within the scene. Ideas kept coming through the build process, even the inclusion of a secret level, only accessed by talking to certain birds. Controls were kept simple to the arrow keys, up to jump, and down to chirp.
Users had the option to skip between the levels too using default mouse controls. Controlling sound and adding random noises helped to create a very dense atmosphere. To optimise performance leaving the window will cause the flash player to run at a very low frame rate, returning bumps the refresh rate back to 50. Applications and skills used during the project: Photoshop, Illustrator, and Flash. Actionscript 3.0, and XML.
This project started in 2009 and went on through design and development into the autumn of 2010. Despite the time spent on this side project, I learnt so much about programming and at that point in time, it was the most advanced project I’d ever undertaken. I wanted to have three scenes to resemble hours, minutes, and seconds. Looking at either scene at different times of the day would result in a scene to match.
Users were presented a sunrise sky, or bright stars at night, a whole day captured within a webpage. Users had the option to fast forward through the day light settings, and even change the weather using the overlay menu. Early in the project’s life, it was linked up to an XML weather feed from the BBC to adjust the scene on the data it received. Applications and skills used during the project: Photoshop, Illustrator, and Flash. Actionscript 2.0, and XML.
I was asked out of the blue by two filmmakers about redesigning their site for a freelance job, at the time they were working with Billy Bob Thornton on a film called The Astronaut Farmer. Using influences from their films mainly Northfork, I focused on pages that made use of the wide space and gentle use of typography, all with a printed texture applied on top. Applications and skills used during the project: Photoshop, Illustrator. HTML.
After minor use of After Effects at university one of my first side projects after graduating was a short animation. Mixing my interest in textures and materials to create a fun little art project involving a disgruntled user with a virtual bee pet. After some research how the sting of a bee attracts others as a form of protection, is certainly an underlying theme within the animation. I even ventured into stop frame animation sequences for some parts of the film. Applications and skills used during the project: Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, SoundEdit, and After Effects.
One of my final projects at University, I worked closely with a fellow student in creating a little world that can be manipulated by elements. We split the workload in half, and my task focused on character design, their animation, and interactivity within the environments. Throughout we worked together to ensure everything was compatible when we merged our files to create the final outcome. Applications and skills used during the project: Freehand, SoundEdit, and Flash. Actionscript 1.0.
My answer to a University brief on Beat culture and movement, involved the creation of an online fanzine focused on nuclear disarmament. It was a rewarding challenge in trying to get the pamphlet to look as real as possible within a webpage. I experimented heavily with textures and layering within photoshop, and adding ambient background music for each section. And yes... that is Neil from The Young Ones! Applications and skills used during the project: Photoshop, Freehand, Illustrator, Flash, and SoundEdit.